Content of the material
- 5. Memorize comeback phrases and quotes
- How do you balance the two?
- Smart and witty comebacks to shut up
- Is Trying to Get Back Together Really That Hopeless?
- Dealing with people who never shut up
- Why do some people never shut up?
- How to tell someone they talk too much, in a nice way
- When to scold people who never shut up
- Try spending time around people who are important to you instead of spending a lot of energy on people you don’t necessarily want in your life.
Thanks! Helpful Not Helpful
5. Memorize comeback phrases and quotes
- Remember when I said you’re smart? I lied.
- If I wanted to kill myself, I’d climb your ego and jump to your IQ.
- You should eat some makeup. That way you’ll at least be pretty on the inside.
- Acting like a dick won’t make yours any bigger.
- It’s amazing how stupid people can be. Thank you for showing that to me.
- You’re about as useful as a raincoat in a desert.
- Your ass must be jealous of the shit coming from your mouth.
- Do you ever think about how your life would be if you grew up in a better family?
- You got all your life left to be a douchebag. Why not take the day off?
- I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings when I called you dumb. I thought you knew.
- You’re cute when you open your mouth. You make funny noises when you try to sound cool.
- You know what? You always make me so happy……when you leave the group.
- Too bad you can’t use makeup on your personality.
- You know, I was pro-life before. Then I met you.
How do you balance the two?
Well, you can’t. Mainly, it’s because you’re not omnipotent, and you’re not in control of what everyone else thinks.
But you can avoid making some common mistakes.
Smart and witty comebacks to shut up
When someone is deliberately trying to be rude by telling you to shut up, you should answer in a way that makes you seem like the more sophisticated person. Here are some smart and witty comebacks to shut up that will put the speaker in their place.12“I don’t remember ordering a glass of your opinion.” This is just another way of saying you were not speaking to them and didn’t require their opinion.
You May Also Like: 40 Ultimate Comebacks When Someone Calls You Ugly15“Please, lead by example.” This is another way to tell the person to shut up, too. It just sounds smarter when you say it this way.
You May Also Like: 30 Witty Comebacks When Someone Asks Why Are You Single20“Do you hear that? *silence* That’s the sound of me not caring.” This response simply means that you don’t care about the opinion of the aggressor. It allows you to make light of their comment instead of being offended.
Is Trying to Get Back Together Really That Hopeless?
I often get emails from people with their break up situation asking if it’s hopeless. Is there any chance they may end up back together?
Here’s the deal: if you get back together after one break up, it can work. But that’s assuming that one or both of you genuinely learns from the break up and alters the course of their behavior or their perception of the relationship. There are plenty of examples of couples who needed some time apart to gain perspective on the relationship and learn how to make it work. And generally, only one catastrophic break up isn’t too much to heal.
But if you’re going through break up after break up after break up — or what I sometimes refer to as the “emotional boom/bust cycle” — where you’re either in bliss or in hell, depending on which month it is, then I hate to say it, but you should probably just end it permanently.
Imagine your relationship as a beautiful china plate. If you break it once, you can put it back together with some care and effort. If you break it a second time, you can still put it back together but it takes a lot of extra time and care. But if you break it again and again and again, eventually you end up with so many pieces that you can’t put it back together. And no matter how much you liked that plate, you’re better off going and finding another one.
Dealing with people who never shut up
It’s one thing to acknowledge these different categories. It’s another to learn how to get people to shut up. If you’re looking for some pointers, check out these different scenarios.
Why do some people never shut up?
What makes you wonder, “Why do some people never shut up?” Is it because you’re more of a quiet person? Is it because you’re an introvert? Is it because you’d rather listen than speak?
There’s not necessarily a right or wrong way to be, but some people love talking. They might like expressing themselves with a lot of details, or they might like proving their point with a lot of examples. Others simply enjoy arguing.
How to tell someone they talk too much, in a nice way
If you need some quiet time and you regularly encounter a chatty person, it can be difficult to figure out the appropriate way to politely resolve the situation. But you’re going to have to learn how to tell someone they talk too much, in a nice way.
One easy thing you can do is make it about your needs, rather than what the other person is doing wrong.
Communicate about the type of peaceful environment that works for you and ask the other person if they can be considerate while they’re around you. That way, they can respect your boundaries without feeling that they’ve done something wrong or that they have to change their personality.
When to scold people who never shut up
If you’ve expressed your needs and the other person still won’t respect them, you might be left feeling like why are people so f*cking stupid? But it’s important to not take things personally. The other person is likely not trying to annoy you on purpose — they’re just used to getting away with their behavior.
People who won’t shut up often don’t listen very carefully, so you might need to tell them how you feel multiple times. Sternly remind them that you don’t have time for nonsense, and that you’d appreciate it if your communication with them was swift and brief, rather than long-winded and time-consuming.
You can also lead by example …
The best rule of thumb: make your point as quickly as possible, and then shut your mouth.
That said, I think I’ll take my own advice …