Content of the material
- Community QA
- Manage General Notifications on YouTube Desktop
- 5. Check your Email Settings. (Desktop Users)
- How to Manage YouTube Channel Notifications On Your Smartphone
- How to Turn Off YouTube Notifications
- 2. Check the YouTube Channel’s Notification Settings
- How to turn off Youtube notifications for your email
- How to stop getting email updates from youtube
- Finding an unsubscribe link in an email
- Updating preferences in Youtube's website
Manage General Notifications on YouTube Desktop
Choose what YouTube notifies you about by setting some general specifications.
Access all your current notifications at any time by selecting the bell on your YouTube page next to your profile picture.
Open YouTube on the desktop and sign in to your account.
At the top of the screen, select your profile picture.
The General Notifications area allows you to set your preferences about what alerts you receive on your mobile device or desktop. Toggle on or off alerts about subscriptions, recommended videos, activity on your channel, activity on your comments, replies to comments, mentions, or activity on other channels.
The Email Notifications area is where you give your permission to receive emails about all the YouTube activity you requested. Toggle this on if you want to receive these emails, or toggle it off if you don't.
Toggle on or off if you want to receive notifications about subscriptions, product updates, or updates about your channel.
5. Check your Email Settings. (Desktop Users)
YouTube used to have email notifications turned on by default a long time ago in the early days of the Internet ?.
At some point they had to disable the feature. This is because, as the content creator community grew larger, users would be swamped by notifications in their emails from their subscribed channels.
Nevertheless, this feature can be re-enabled in YouTube’s settings easily ?.
Therefore, if your YouTube email notifications aren’t working, follow these simple steps to ensure notifications are enabled for your email:
- First, using any web browser of your choice, go to the YouTube website.
- Next, tap the Account icon . The icon is on the top right corner of the app, and it should have your profile picture on it.
- After that, select Settings⚙️.
- Then, choose Notifications from the left pane.
- Following that, scroll down to Email Notifications.
- Then, under Permission, check the “Send me emails about my YouTube activity and updates I requested” option.
- Finally, under Your Preferences, check “Creator updates and announcements”.
After doing this, every time your subscribed content creator uploads a new video, a notification email will be sent to your email account.
How to Manage YouTube Channel Notifications On Your Smartphone
What if you want to receive notifications from the selected channels that you’re subscribed to? In your mobile app, you can also manage YouTube notifications by channel. To do that, follow the steps below.
- Open the YouTube mobile app and sing into your account.
- Select Subscriptions at the bottom of the screen.
- Select All to open the list of your subscribed channels.
- Select Manage.
- Select the bell icon next to a specific channel to manage the notifications.
If among your subscriptions there’s a channel with the audience set to made for kids, you won’t be receiving the notifications by default, so there’s no need to change the settings.
How to Turn Off YouTube Notifications
There’s a number of reasons why you might want to turn off your YouTube notifications. Maybe you feel that you recently started getting too many notifications, or notifications from channels that you’re not interested in. It could be that you specifically don’t want to receive notifications via email or push-notifications on your smartphone or desktop.
There are three general ways to turn off your YouTube notifications: via the channel settings, account settings, or your device settings. We already covered how to do it via the channel settings – by selecting None from the notifications options under a video from a channel you’re subscribed to. If you don’t feel like going through all of your subscribed channels one by one to turn off notifications, you can turn all notifications at once using your YouTube account settings.
You can do that both on your computer and your mobile. To turn off YouTube notifications on your computer, follow the steps below.
- Open YouTube and sing into your account.
- Select your profile picture at the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Select Settings.
- From the menu on the left, select Notifications.
Here you can switch off all types of YouTube notifications, including Desktop and Email notifications. To do that, toggle the switch next to them.
To turn off YouTube notifications on your smartphone, follow the steps below.
- Open the YouTube mobile app and sing into your account.
- Select your profile picture at the top of your screen.
- Select Settings > Notifications.
You can also turn off YouTube notifications using the Settings app on your smartphone.
To do that, follow the path Settings > Notifications > Apps > YouTube, then toggle the switch to turn the notifications off.
2. Check the YouTube Channel’s Notification Settings
If you have the notifications turned on for a channel but aren’t receiving notifications from them, it may be caused by the channel notifications settings. For this, there being 3 types of settings for the notifications system:
The Personalized setting can be helpful as it allows users to customize their incoming notifications based on their behaviour. Nevertheless, some users may prefer to be notified about every video upload from their favourite subscribed YouTubers.
To check and update the notifications settings for any particular channel, follow these steps below:
- First, go to the subscribed channel’s homepage. You can do this by clicking on the channel’s profile picture in the description section of a video. Alternatively, you can search for the channel.
- Then, to the right of the channel’s profile picture and name, there will be a Subscribe button. If you’re already subscribed to the channel, the button should be grey.
- After that, click the bell icon next to the grey Subscribe button and a pop-up menu should appear.
- Finally, select the All setting if it hasn’t already been selected.
If you have followed the 4 steps above you should start receiving notifications for every video upload from the subscribed channel.
However, if the issue persists, check out our other fixes below!
How to turn off Youtube notifications for your email
There's a couple ways you can stop getting notifications for Youtube sent to your email inbox.
How to stop getting email updates from youtube
You can easily stop email notifications from Youtube by using Unsubscriber. We'll not only allow you to unsubscribe from Youtube, but this application will show you a list of all the senders that are filling your inbox with marketing and newsletter emails. You can choose which ones you'd like to stop sending you emails and handle them all in one go! It's the fastest way to manage your email subscriptions in one go!
Finding an unsubscribe link in an email
For any marketing emails, the sender should be adding an unsubscribe link at the bottom, or a way to manage your email preferences. You can usually find this link at the bottom of the email. Sometimes these links will remove you automatically, and other times you may have to login and set your preferences for all the different types of emails that the sender may update you about. Learn how to unsubscribe from emails directly.
Updating preferences in Youtube's website
The unsubscribe link for Youtube will send you to the account page which looks like the page below.
You can go to Youtube directly and manage your notification preferences. Here you'll be able to choose which types of content you'd like to get alerts from. After you complete this, you won't receive any futher communications from Youtube to your device or your email and you can live distraction-free!