Content of the material
Avoid Tolls Using Google Maps
For quite some reason, most Countries around the World never seem to have the funds to build Infrastructure and services required for people to live, work and contribute to the economy.
Hence, they borrow money to build roads and end up charging people to pay back the principal and accrued interest on borrowed money.
Luckily, you can enable “Avoid Tolls” option in Google Maps to make sure that you are always using Toll Free Roads.
Depending on your situation, you can enable “Avoid Tolls” option in Google Maps for Specific Routes and also for all the Routes.
Note: Sometimes, it may not be possible to Avoid Toll Roads and in certain cases using a Toll Road might be the shortest or the quickest way to reach a destination.
1. Avoid Tolls On All Routes in Google Maps
This method ensures that Google Maps always uses Toll Free Roads, while providing you with directions.
1. Open Google Maps > tap on your Account icon and select Settings in the drop-down menu.
2. On Settings screen, tap on the Navigation tab located under “Getting Around” section.
3. On the next screen, scroll down to “Route Options” section and enable Avoid Tolls option.
After this, Google Maps will automatically try to use Free Routes, whenever you try to find directions using Google Maps on your smartphone.
2. Avoid Tolls on Specific Routes Using Google Maps
Follow the steps below to make Google Maps avoid Toll Roads, while providing you with Turn-by-Turn directions on a specific route.
1. Open Google Maps app on your iPhone or Android Phone > Type Name or Address of the place that you want to go to.
2. Tap on Directions in bottom menu.
3. On the next screen, tap on 3-dots icon located next to the Location entry.
4. On the pop-up, tap on Route Options.
5. On Route Options screen, move the toggle next to Avoid Tolls to ON position.
Note: You can enable Remember Settings option, if you want Google to remember the settings for this particular route.
After this. you can start heading towards your destination and Google Maps will make sure that you are avoiding the roads where you may be required to Pay Tolls.Related
- How to Use Two WhatsApp Accounts on iPhone & Android
- How to Use Android Phone Without SIM Card or Phone Number
Apple Maps was a little harder to figure out. You need to put in your starting and ending point first.
You then need to tap “Driving Options”
It’s there you’ll find the “Avoid Tolls” slider. I guess you’ll need to do this for each route. With Waze and Google Maps, the app will avoid tolls until you turn the slider off.
How to Avoid Tolls on Google Maps on Desktop Browser
When you're using Google Maps on a desktop browser, you'll need to switch Google Maps to avoid tolls after creating your route.
Log into Google Maps on your browser and search for the destination you’re planning to travel to. In the left pane, select the Directions icon so Google Maps can create the route from your current location to the new destination.
In the new map with directions, you can see roads with tolls by looking for a small blue icon. If you hover the mouse over the icon, you'll see the name of the route with red text underneath "Toll road."
If you select a route, or select Details under a route, you'll see the route details in the left pane. If the route has tolls, you'll see a notification in the header "This route has tolls." You'll also see the individual sections of the route with tolls.
If you want to clear all tolls from your route, select Options. This will open a small section in the left pane with all of the route options you can change. Under Avoid, select the check box next to Tolls.
Once you finish this procedure, Google Maps will reroute your trip with alternative routes to bypass all toll roads.
How to Turn Off Tolls on Google Maps on an Android Device
If you’re traveling by car and want to avoid tolls on the way, you can enable this feature on Google Maps on your Android device too. It’s a relatively straightforward process, and it will only take a minute or two of your time. To turn off tolls on Google Maps on your Android, follow the steps below:
- Launch the Google Maps app on your Android.
- Go to the search bar at the top of your screen.
- Find your destination on the map or type it in.
- Choose your form of transportation.
- Type in your starting location.
- Go to the three dots in the upper-right corner of your screen.
- Select “Route options” from the list of options.
- Next to “Avoid tolls,” toggle the switch.
- Select “Done.”
- Tap on the arrow in the upper-left corner of your screen.
- Tap on the “Start” button at the bottom of the screen.
While you’re in the “Route options” menu, you’ll see two more options: “Avoid highways” and “Avoid ferries.” You can also choose the distance units (automatic, miles, or kilometers). These navigation settings can be very useful when you’re traveling to faraway destinations.
You can make Google Maps remember these settings as well. However, there is another way to permanently avoid tolls on Google Maps. Here’s what you need to do:
- Open Google Maps.
- Tap on your profile picture bubble in the upper-right corner of your screen.
- Find “Settings” on the list of options.
- Proceed to “Navigation.”
- Go down to “Route options.”
- Toggle the “Avoid tolls” switch.
Now Google Maps will remember this setting, and you won’t have to enable this feature every time you go on a new trip.
About This Article
Written by: Nicole Levine, MFA wikiHow Technology Writer This article was written by Nicole Levine, MFA. Nicole Levine is a Technology Writer and Editor for wikiHow. She has more than 20 years of experience creating technical documentation and leading support teams at major web hosting and software companies. Nicole also holds an MFA in Creative Writing from Portland State University and teaches composition, fiction-writing, and zine-making at various institutions. This article has been viewed 2,700 times. How helpful is this? Co-authors: 1 Updated: May 6, 2018 Views: 2,700 Categories: Google Maps